WGM Engineering is one of Scotland’s leading engineering solution providers and performing responsibly is integral to our success and sustainability. We are committed to delivering projects and services whilst ensuring that we meet our customer and society needs, whilst managing the social and environmental impacts of our business. Since trading commenced in 1986, WGM has continued to develop its operations to adhere to the marketplace and client demand. This has been achieved by offering a unique and total service where Mechanical, Electrical and Civil Engineering disciplines are provisioned under the one roof. Aligning our three disciplines and our strategically located service centres offers a total turnkey solution to clients countrywide and ensures we are the number one engineering company of choice.
We have a current requirement for an Occupational Health advisor to join the business on a permanent basis, the role will be based within our Glasgow office on a hybrid working model. The post holder will provide advice, guidance and support to managers and staff and other outside organisations as required. You will participate in the assessment of staff and organisational needs, and the development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of Occupational Healthcare in conjunction with the Health, Safety and Wellbeing manager.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To develop and maintain occupational health services (Health surveillance, case management and wellbeing programmes) for WGM Engineering in accordance with relevant Government guidance and legislation, including guidance from relevant expert bodies and Occupational Health Best Practice.
- To plan programmes for caseload where necessary in compliance with relevant occupational health protocols and be responsible for teaching / promotional aids between departments and to external contracts.
- To maintain effective communication with clients, managers and other professionals to ensure service delivery.
- Provision of confidential supportive counselling for distressing / emotional circumstances such as work-related / personal issues or following traumatic events and refer on to Counsellor or Occupational Health Physician as necessary.
- To develop specialist programmes of Health Surveillance for WGM in compliance with current health and safety legislation, including OH follow-up and advice. Advise managers on the effective implementation of recommended measures to provide a safe system of work.
- Interpreting complex facts and situations relating to employment e.g. assessing/judging individuals’ suitability for employment / continued employment and return to work assessments in liaison with the Doctor or Health, Safety and Wellbeing Manager in line with DDA and all other relevant legislation.
- To provide basic emotional support to distressed staff with referral to staff counselling or other appropriate agencies.
To be considered for this position you will have at least 2-3 years previous experience within an occupational health role either within the health service or similar industry provider, the ideal candidate will have the ability to critically reflect upon work practices and situations in order to improve practice and services to organisation’s and individual clients. You will be guided by, and interpret national and organisational policies within the context of OH practice to a local level.
To apply please send an update cv to the WGM recruitment team for further review.